[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 38, Issue 6

xmechanic xmechanic at gilanet.com
Thu Apr 5 18:26:30 UTC 2007

> Re: [K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 38, Issue 5
> From:
> Peter Scheie <peter at scheie.homedns.org>
> Date:
> Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:01:20 -0500
> To:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> To:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>

I found out that in /etc/sysconfig/desktop there was no reference to the
displaymanager=, so I added it and tried DISPLAYMANAGER="KDM" and then
DISPLAYMANAGER="GDM", rebooting the server and cycling the terminals
between each change and still have the same anomaly. Whenever I logoff a
user on one of the terminals, the screen goes blank on the server and
then pops up the error message again. I can always do ctrl+alt+F7 and
get the screen back, but it seems that there should be some way to get
the clients to look at a terminal that's not currently being used (by
the server's x-server). Incidently, in answer to your question, it was
doing this before I set KDE as the default desktop.

Dave Land
> Using KDE as the default desktop does not necessarily mean kdm is
> being used instead of gdm.  I think that unless you specify kdm, gdm
> is used even if KDE is set as the default desktop.  Both are set in
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop, thusly:
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER="GDM"
> DESKTOP="GNOME"
>
> IIRC, to set kdm as the display manager, you set DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE",
> and that's not a typo, KDE is specified, not KDM.  But it's been a
> while so test it, don't take my word for it.
>
> Not that that really helps your problem.  Do you get the same result
> if the client uses gnome instead of kde?
>
> xmechanic wrote:

>>> Subject:
>>> Re: [K12OSN] Strange glitch in X on LTSP server