[K12OSN] Multicasting video using vlc server/client (WAS: speed question)

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 04:32:58 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > as Terrell suggests you can't
> > > really have a whole lab all watching fullscreen video/sound
> > > (headphones) at the same time.
> >
> > multicasting with vlc can do it, not locally. you almost have to try
> > it to belive how well it works. it's freaky, the audio almost syncs up
> > in a lab of thin clients.   you can start it with a custom vlcrc file
> > that will override local settings to use the video and audio output of
> > your choice.
>
> I'd love to try this! So you have one set of speakers connected to one
> client in the class which everyone hears. Any tips or details
> appreciated Peter.

I found it Peter. It's your "whoohoo!" post from July 27th, 2006. I
should have looked in the k12ltsp archive first. I also have the same
thought as Les did. Since the vlc server AND the client are running on
the same box (k12ltsp) why does the multicast feature of your switch
help the broadcast since the server still has to shoot X over the
network? (scratches head)

--
Robert Arkiletian