[K12OSN] can't get sound on Dell GX1's using K12LTSP v 5

Timothy Legge timlegge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 12:14:42 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Jim Anderson <jand689 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to get sound without success.  I have a room full of DellGX1 computers.  According to
> Dell's specs, and as confirmed with a Knoppix live CD, the sound chip is a
> CS4236.  I have changed my lts.conf to reflect this.  here's the relevant
> section:

I finally got the sound in a Dell with the CS4236 working by disabling the
onboard sound and inserting a new $12.00 PCI sound card.  After a number of
hours I decided that it was no longer worth my time.  The ALSA that Peter
mentioned recognized the new card immediately and works great.

While I welcome Dell's possible entrance into selling Linux, I really hope
they contribute what ever is necessary to make their hardware work well...

Tim