[K12OSN] Multicasting video using vlc server/client (WAS: speed question)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Apr 6 17:00:17 UTC 2007

Peter Hartmann wrote:
>> why does the multicast feature of your switch
>> help the broadcast since the server still has to shoot X over the
>> network? (scratches head)
>
> I thought it was involved somehow but it's not. I learned that after the
> post.

In that scenario it wouldn't be involved but it would syncronize the
displays since they all see the same stream.  I think this could work
for an unlimited number of clients if vlc could run as a local app - and
then you would be reading the stream over the network.  However, places
using the single nic approach and a routed network may have to do some
extra work to make the routers handle multicast.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com