[K12OSN] Windows Clients Behind an LTSP Server

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:00:17 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, David H. Barr <dhbarr at gozelle.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I've got a default k12ltsp / FC6 install, and my thin clients work
> wonderfully.  I'd like them to daylight as Windows boxes, however, and
> I'd like it to be as simple as inserting a CD and power cycling to
> bring up k12.
>
> What do I need to configure a) on the Windows side and b) on the
> server side to make this happen?  I've verified that both the server
> and a client PXE booted from the server can access the web.  In
> addition, a client booted in windows gets a valid DHCP lease but DNS /
> http won't go through.
>
> I trolled the archives for "dual boot", but most threads appear to
> deal with hard drive partitioning which I've already got licked.  I'm
> 99% certain I need to add a routing rule, but the where and how escape
> me.  Bonus points for linkage to a relevant FAQ or wiki entry with
> examples «grin».
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -dhbarr.

When a client PC is booted up as Windows,

a) can it ping a server on the Internet by IP address (e.g. 172.x.y.z)
as opposed to server name (e.g. www.google.com)?

b) is Windows also getting a valid name server address from the DHCP server?

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)
web: www.calvaryschoolsholland.org