[K12OSN] OT: Stopping P2P sharing

EJBoshinski mistrz.linux at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 15:28:12 UTC 2007

Essentially this is exactly what a NAC appliance can do for you.  I haven't worked on the equipment for over a year, but from what I have seen in the tech rags lately is that they have evolved quite a bit.  I worked on a product called Clean Access from Cisco, and one of the scenarios that they had was to install a small authentication module on each end device.  When a user would attempt to access the network (via DHCP), the machine would first be matched against whatever policies you would dictate.  If it did not pass, the machine would be shunted off to a separate VLAN to remediate the machine into compliance (service packs, hot fixes, AV patches, etc.) before it would allowed on the "normal" internal subnet.  There are other offerings out there now besides Cisco, many based on Linux.  It was quiet interesting when I first cracked the box to find out that it too was running on Linux - Fedora, if I remember correctly....

The "integration into the switches" is accomplished by using VLANs, so there is a lot more to setting up your logical network topology than just plugging everything together.  But in the end, it is quite effective at controlling who and what gets on your internal network.  I suggest that you have a google look at NAC, "network admission control" & "network acess control" for more indepth information.  Of course, this is all predicated by what your resources are to accomplish this end result ;-)

-ejb