[K12OSN] OT: Stopping P2P sharing

Vince Callaway vince at totalsense.com
Sat Apr 21 03:59:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 18:35 -0400, Steven Santos wrote:
> I have read a lot of what I would call heavy handed technical aproaches to this.  What I still don't understand is exactly what kind of file sharing you are trying to prevent, and why.

The specific problem is with BitTorrent clients.

I will only comment on a technical standpoint.  These P2P fileshare
programs if not setup correctly can completely saturate a network in a
short period of time.  A small number of clients running at full speed
can have the same effect as a denial of service attack.

P2P can be setup to work well by having only one client computer.  That
computer using Azureus can be managed remotely and users can add files
remotely.  Doing that allows for bandwidth control and scheduling usage
for off peak times.

If blocking it is a big issue you might check your ISP.  Several are
employing blocking and throttling technology.  I know that Clearwire
does.  It is something they disclosed AFTER a two year contract was
signed. Unfortunately that is a whole separate thread.