[K12OSN] Anyone tried smbldap installer with Centos 5 ??

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:21:49 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 09:02, Brian Chivers wrote:
> I'm about to start installing several new servers ready for the summer swap
> and wondered if anyone had tried the smbldap installer script with Centos 5
> and if so would share any "gotchas" :-)

Your query prompted me to try it out. I ran smbldap-installer (v3.1) on a
CentOS-5 virtual machine (VMware Server v1.0.2) and selected "centos44" as
the installation target host. I was able to get SMB-LDAP installed,
configured and running *but* the installation script does not work out of the
box. I ran into the following problems (and workarounds):

1. Vanilla CentOS-5 does not define the "dag" repository.
	Fix: That is Dag Wieers repository: http://dag.wieers.com/

2. Repository has been renamed "rpmforge"
	Fix: In /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo change [rpmforge] to [dag]

3. Still can't get several Perl modules due to version mismatches
	Fix: use yum to install packages without reference to version numbers

4. The smbldap-tools didn't get installed. Manual installation collides with
perl-ldap module.
	Fix: remove perl-ldap modle with yum. Use yum to get right perl-ldap and then
	install smbldap-tools.

The installer script used a hodge-podge of packages from the "dag" repository
(several old Fedora packages for instance). Dag seems to have a suitable
"el5" branch that takes care of that, but the scripts need to be updated.

As clumsy as this exercise was, it is far simpler than rolling your own and it
seems to work if you can get to the end of the configuration step. Those more
familiar with "smbldap-installer" may have a more elegant way to fix it.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |