[K12OSN] Rdesktop Fails after Update

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Apr 25 17:56:46 UTC 2007

k12ltsp wrote:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
> writes:
>
>> Did you reboot after your yum update?  Depending on what gets updated
>> (certain core libraries, the kernel perhaps, etc.), a reboot is needed to
>> make sure that apps can properly access what just got updated.  I have
>> often seen this with Thunderbird and Firefox.
>>
>> --TP
>>

> Hi!
>
> Thank you for the quick response! Yes, all of the servers were restarted.
> The servers were updated about 2 weeks ago.

Hmm...I vaguely recall seeing something like that a year and a half or
so back.  Here's what I did.  Try downloading the rdesktop source code
and installing it (it should install into /usr/local by default).  Then,
try renaming /usr/bin/rdesktop to, say, /usr/bin/rdesktop.orig, and then
symlink your new rdesktop to /usr/bin/rdesktop.  What we're trying to do
here is see if the rdesktop executable got FUBAR'd or if there's some
other library that it's looking for but can't find.  When you compile
it, it will compile specifically for your libraries and shouldn't have
any problems.

http://www.rdesktop.org/

I just checked, and the current version is v1.5.0.

--TP