[K12OSN] Rdesktop Fails after Update

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Apr 26 04:48:33 UTC 2007

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, [ISO-8859-1] "Terrell Prud� Jr." wrote:
>

>> Hmm...I've got to head to work, but I'll see if I can find anything out
>> Googling this evening when I get some time.  This definitely should not
>> be happening.
>>
>> Hey, waitasec.  Not crashing from the console, but it is through the
>> terminals, eh?  In that case, we might be seeing an X11 (on the client)
>> issue.  Back when I was running UltraSPARC thin clients, I was using a
>> release-candidate set of binaries of XFree86 4.4 (just before the Big
>> Split).  See, I had Red Hat Linux 6.2 installed on the Ultra 5 boxes'
>> hard disks, which uses XFree86 3.3.6.  The LTSP X11 binaries in
>> /opt/ltsp/sparc were XFree86 4.4rc. TuxType and TuxMath would
>> intermittently crash on me when TFTP-booting in normal LTSP style.
>> However, when I booted RHL 6.2 and had XFree86 3.3.6 do an XDMCP query,
>> then TuxMath ran fine, but TuxType would simply not run at all due to
>> the ancient X11 version.
>>
>> Maybe this is what's biting you as well with rdesktop.
>>
>> --TP
>> _______________________________
>> Do you GNU!?
>> Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
>> protection!
>>

>> k12ltsp wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there!
>>>
>>> Thank you for the suggestion! I have moved the old rdesktop and compiled a
>>> new version using the source code at the website you provided. I did
>>> notice some improvements, such as it defaulting to a higher color depth.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the issue still follows. There is a segmentation fault that
>>> happens when we attempt to login. It's also worth noting that the issue
>>> does NOT occur when using rdesktop from console. It only occurs when
>>> launched through a terminal.

> Terrel,
> 	I am running updated to the gills version K12 6 on 3 servers and a
> laptop.
> 	The issue is new - it came after the yum update a few days ago,
> but I became aware of it only a few hours ago.
> 	The segmentation fault happens on terminals and on the laptop,
> that is, on the console too.
> julius

For you, it's happening on the console as well?  Hmm...that *is*
interesting.  What version of rdesktop are you running?  Could it be
that yum update also updated rdesktop to 1.5, and 1.5 might itself be
buggy?  A couple of other folks have pointed out that "downgrading" from
rdesktop 1.5 to 1.4.x seems to make the problem go away.  I do happen to
be using 1.4.1.

--TP