[K12OSN] TFTP issue

Kemp, Levi lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us
Fri Apr 27 21:49:48 UTC 2007

>Kemp, Levi wrote:
>> I am having a weird issue with TFTP. I want to first ask, even though
>> I'm pretty sure, if TFTP is needed for LTSP. Like I said I'm pretty sure
>> it is. My boss and I have been working on setting up a Linux box with an
>> SMTP Virus Scanner (replacing Symantec) in front of our Exchange server
>> (I'll get that box too someday :-) ) and needed to make changes to our
>> firewall. Well our firewall apparently uses TFTP to make changes and so
>> he needed to install a TFTP Server program on his pc to do so(apparently
>> he doesn't make changes often). Well it is saying there is already a
>> TFTP server in the network. "Lights On!", My K12LTSP Server?, is what
>> I'm thinking. So I've disconnected it and we are about to see it that is
>> it. Should it even be showing up on the rest of the network? I thought
>> it was just for the clients? Thoughts?
>
>K12ltsp does have a tftp server and it is needed to boot clients, but it
>doesn't send anything unless specifically asked.  There should be no
>problem having any number of tftp servers on the same network.  DHCP is
>the only service with that problem because it has to respond to broadcasts.
>
>--
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Well, I'll just have to leave it off till we finish the other project then. For some reason the TFTP server my boss is using won't work unless LTSP is off the network. He only needs it to reset the password on the firewall, which for some reason we don't have. I didn't think it should matter since you can more than one LTSP set up.

Levi