[K12OSN] OT - Web based appliance

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Apr 30 22:17:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 13:14 -0700, rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
> Does anyone know of an open source solution that will provide a web
> front end to all applications regardless of server OS.  I was thinking
> along the lines of this NTAVO appliance by Devon IT.
>
> http://www.devonit.com/gateway/gateway_overview.php

I had to go digging to see what this is supposed to do.

Application Publishing is a Citrix thing. Basically any application
eventually just generates a stream of code to be turned into pixel on a
screen. What this thing does is capture that stream and turn it into an
applet of sorts that can be viewed using a browser with the right
plugins or a standalone viewer.

The nice thing is this process only serves the application window and
not the full desktop.

But they are not open source and rather expensive.

The most cost-efficient way to make this happen for school budgets is to
use M$ terminal server on the machine that runs the mandatory window$
application and run tsclient or rdesktop for the client side. Affordable
and stable are nice combinations.

Otherwise, use NX.
--
James P. Kinney III