Re: [K12OSN] Blocked net access

On Saturday, January 13, 2007, at 01:56  PM, Nakashima wrote:

On Saturday, January 13, 2007, at 01:14  AM, Nakashima wrote:

John Lucas wrote:
Yes. Unless changes are made, your LTSP server is not set up as a router and won't pass packets from the "inside" network to the "outside" network. The terminals run processes on the server, which has access to both networks, but non-terminals attached to the "inside" do not have access to the outside. To keep the PCs on the inside and allow them out, you need to make several changes:
	- turn on packet forwarding on the server (make it a router)
- give the server's inside address as a router in the DHCP stanza for the PCs
	- make sure you don't have an IPTables rule preventing forwarding
- make sure your perimeter router knows the route back to the inside network - make sure your perimeter firewall allows the inside network to forward
This is all basic TCP/IP networking 101 and is not specific to LTSP.

K12LTSP should come with a script to do all of this, though.  Try
 service nat on
to start it and
 chkconfig nat on
to make it start automatically at boot up. Your other routers shouldn't
need to know about the eth0 address range because outgoing packets
nat to the eth1 address.  I thought this was normally set up during
a default install.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com

Thanks John, Dan, and Les,
I did the following in Terminal

service nat start
chkconfig nat on

No luck.
I can ping addresses on the outside from an OS X Mac, but can't get to the web with a browser. I'm not very technical, so any further help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
--Peter

I received a tip to check the DNS settings. I will be doing that on Tuesday.
Thanks  :-)
--Peter

Just wanted to finish up the thread. It turned out to be the firewall. Once I disabled the firewall, everything worked.
Thanks for all the help.
--Peter