[K12OSN] Removing the "Floppy" desktop icon

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Mon Apr 2 20:09:56 UTC 2007

Ray Garza wrote:
> On Monday 02 April 2007 09:42, Peter Scheie wrote:
>> Ray Garza wrote:
>>> Petre,
>>>
>>> I tried this with the K12LTSP version 6 and it did not work. I still get
>>> the floppy Icon on the desktop. Any other place that I can look to
>>> disable it?
>>>
>>> Ray
>> Are you booting from floppy?
>>
> Yes, I'm booting from a floppy. I'm trying to finish setting up KDE in KIOSK
> mode for our card catalogs and this is one of the few puzzles left to over
> come.
>
> Ray

Hmm, seems to work on my ver. 6 system.  Try this: Edit
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/udev/scripts/ltsp-device.sh and comment out lines 88-91, like so:

#  /dev/*/lun0/disc)  LTSP_DEVTYPE="floppy"
#  /dev/fd*)          LTSP_DEVTYPE="floppy"

This is after the fact, in that disabling the floppy in the 15-ltsp-block.rules file
should fix it.  But I notice that on some of my laptop clients that modifying
ltsp-device.sh is also necessary to prevent the floppy icon from appearing because the
BIOS reports that there is a floppy drive even if there isn't, since the floppy and
CD-ROM can be hot-swapped.

Petre