[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 38, Issue 5

Re: [K12OSN] Strange glitch in X on LTSP server
From:
Peter Scheie <peter scheie homedns org>
Date:
Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:08:05 -0500
To:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>

To:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>

Thanks Petre,
I've tried rebooting and I haven't made any changes to gdm. It does this consistently since it was installed. Maybe the servers video drivers are wacky? Card is a nVidia G-Force 6200 AGP 8x, and from past experience on other distributions, nVidia is always pretty well supported. Incidentally, I'm running K desktop on both the server and clients exclusively to reduce the amount of configuration I have to do, so theoretically, gdm wouldn't even be involved, correct?. kdm is the default.

I've seen this before after making changes to gdm and then running gdm-restart or similar. Rebooting the server at a convenient time (when there are no users) always seems to fix it.

Petre

xmechanic wrote:
I have a demo system setup at the local school here with 2 terminals and
a test server with an AMD 1800+ and 512mb of RAM. System is set up with
K12LTSP ver. 5.0. Everything is working ok for the most part, but when a
client logs off and the terminal goes back to the login screen, the
screen on the server goes blank and then comes up with a message that
there is already an X-server running on TTY1. I can do ctrl+alt+F7 and
get back to my existing desktop, but it would be nice to find a fix for
this. Any ideas? Thanks!

Dave Land
Land Computer Service