[K12OSN] speed question

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:50:18 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, Kemp, Levi <lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us> wrote:

> Well that's almost disappointing. My boss wants to buy a whole new lab of
> thin clients and LCD's. I wanted to use my current lab, all the iPaqs, and
> possibly get new monitors, I'd rather use the money on a server and new
> network equipment. The problem is then, if I go with our current computers,
> they probably won't be good enough for the multimedia applications. They are
> on the i810 chipset, but unfortunately don't support any upgrades aside from
> memory. So what thin client would someone recommend for use in a multimedia

Before you go out and buy all new clients. If I read correctly your
current ones are 500Mhz Celerons with 256MB. They *might* be good
enough to run Mplayer locally if that's what you mean by multimedia
apps. LTSP 5 is supposed to be easier to do local apps and I think
K12LTSP 7 is going to use LTSP 5. Even if you have video cards like
the Matrox G400 or the Radeon 9200 as Terrell suggests you can't
really have a whole lab all watching fullscreen video/sound
(headphones) at the same time. It will not only hammer your server
trying to decompress 30 video streams simultaneously but also saturate
even a gigabit linked eth0, not to mention video/audio sync problems
over the network. But you can do this with Mplayer as a local app.
Provided you have clients powerful enough.

--
Robert Arkiletian