Re: [K12OSN] need help scaling LTSP: setting up Winbind and LDAP

Hi Steven thanks for your interest.
On 4/5/07, Steven Santos <steven simplycircus com> wrote:
Lots of ways to go with this question.  Lets start by gathering more info;

Can you tell us more about the current computing enviornment on campus?
- How many, and of what type (mac, win, unix, other) are the computers you have?
 We run a mix of WinSP clients, Mac OSX clients, and ltsp based thin clients.

- Do you have a managed or unmanaged network? Can you do vLANS?
I am not sure what you mean by a managed network, you'll have to enlighten me. We do have managed switches and routers. We do make extensive use of VLANS and in fact that's how I push the LTSP environment from building to building.

- Do you currently spread your servers out, or are they centralized?
Our AD based infrastructure is centralized and our LTSP based servers are local to each school.

Can you tell us more about where your planning to go?
- Do you plan a mass migration to an all or mostly linux enviornment?

We're looking toward a time when Linux based thin clients are in the majority for students, with the only remaining Windows or OSX based clients handling special duties like heavy duty graphics rendering (Illustrator, Studio 4d, etc)

- Are you planning on having multi-media (Mac/Lin/Win fat clients?)
The multimedia stuff will most likely be handled by dedicated fat clients.

 Thanks. I look forward to hearing your ideas.

As I get farther into the SAMBA documentation it seems like I might be looking at at least two possible solutions:

IDMAP_RID with Winbind
IDMAP Storage in LDAP Using Winbind

which I found explained by John H. Terpstra here: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html

Boy to I feel in over my head!