Re: [K12OSN] Multicasting video using vlc server/client (WAS: speed question)

why does the multicast feature of your switch
help the broadcast since the server still has to shoot X over the
network? (scratches head)

I thought it was involved somehow but it's not. I learned that after the post.

On 4/6/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 4/5/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech gmail com> wrote:
> > > as Terrell suggests you can't
> > > really have a whole lab all watching fullscreen video/sound
> > > (headphones) at the same time.
> >
> > multicasting with vlc can do it, not locally. you almost have to try
> > it to belive how well it works. it's freaky, the audio almost syncs up
> > in a lab of thin clients.   you can start it with a custom vlcrc file
> > that will override local settings to use the video and audio output of
> > your choice.
>
> I'd love to try this! So you have one set of speakers connected to one
> client in the class which everyone hears. Any tips or details
> appreciated Peter.

I found it Peter. It's your "whoohoo!" post from July 27th, 2006. I
should have looked in the k12ltsp archive first. I also have the same
thought as Les did. Since the vlc server AND the client are running on
the same box (k12ltsp) why does the multicast feature of your switch

--
Robert Arkiletian