Re: [K12OSN] can't get sound on Dell GX1's using K12LTSP v 5

Timothy Legge wrote:
On 4/4/07, Jim Anderson <jand689 yahoo com> wrote:

I've been trying to get sound without success. I have a room full of DellGX1 computers. According to Dell's specs, and as confirmed with a Knoppix live CD, the sound chip is a
CS4236.  I have changed my lts.conf to reflect this.  here's the relevant
section:

I finally got the sound in a Dell with the CS4236 working by disabling the
onboard sound and inserting a new $12.00 PCI sound card.  After a number of
hours I decided that it was no longer worth my time.  The ALSA that Peter
mentioned recognized the new card immediately and works great.

While I welcome Dell's possible entrance into selling Linux, I really hope
they contribute what ever is necessary to make their hardware work well...

Keep in mind that the GX1's are ancient. The only issue with the CS4236 is that it sits on the ISA bus on the motherboard so the PCI scan done by modern linux versions won't find the right settings. If you supply the module parameters it should still work. There is probably some pattern to the MAC address range on these boxes. Is there a way to do a setting in lts.conf that applies to a range instead of a specific address?

And one great thing about Dell is that they make bios updates and other downloads available forever. The original GX1 bios had a problem with PXE booting, but you can still get the update to fix it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com