Re: [K12OSN] can't get sound on Dell GX1's using K12LTSP v 5

Les Mikesell wrote:
Jim Anderson wrote:
I'll be returning to my problem GX1s on Wednesday.  Thanks to all who've
responded.  It seems like some configuration of the CS4232 driver seems
to be indicated.

Anyone know why I received the "/dev/dsp folder not found" error
message?  There is no /dev/dsp directory off the main root, but there is
an /opt/ltsp/i386/dev/dsp folder.  The original CS4236 driver did seem
to be loading and gave a folder not found error while looking for dsp.

I don't think it gets created at boot time if a sound device is not detected - and since the ISA bus isn't probed, the device won't be found unless you supply the correct options to the module.

I don't know whether or not you specified the sound module settings in the lts.conf file, but I have at least 50 of the GX1's in our building working with sound and if you use this setting it might work. I have some terminals that auto configure, but most of my equipment is so old, it has to be specified in the lts.conf file:

This is the sound configuration for the default lts.conf settings at the beginning of the file:
       # enable sound by default
       SOUND              = Y
       # choose either esd or nasd to be the default
       # SOUND_DAEMON       = "nasd"
       SOUND_DAEMON     = "esd"

       # default sound volume
       VOLUME             = 100
       ### For ISA sound cards, you have to specify the module to use:
       # SMODULE_01       = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

Then I have to specify the sound module for each GX1 because it cannot auto configure like the newer machines:

#GX1 --
[00:c0:4f:37:3d:b3]
       USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
       SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.254
       SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

Hope this helps.

Rita Gibson
RMSELTech