[K12OSN] OT: thoughts on running vista through K12LTSP

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Wed Apr 11 11:59:31 UTC 2007

Hello All,

 Our school is wanting to set up a lab full of Vista PC's for the next
school year. About 25 PC's. Does anyone here think it would be doable to
run Vista via Qemu, Virtualbox, VMWare server? In other words have new
thin clients( Ebox 2300's) boot via K12LTSP, then start a VM to Vista? I
realize the sound should work if the lts.conf file is modded to run
windows sound ,rather than ltsp sound daemon. I'm not sure though about
vista, as the sound is redirected via RDP via windows terminal services?
Hmmm,,,.
I'm thinking youd need x number of copies of Vista licenses,which is not a
problem,per seat. Does this sound like " a not so good setup" to anyone
here?
trying to think/look at what the pitfalls would be so everyone is not
frustrated if say Flash or somehting does not work correctly via a VM.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Barry Cisna
westcentral school