Re: [K12OSN] Science probes with thin clients

On 12/04/07, Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan mac com> wrote:
The chemistry lab down the hall was just renovated thanks to a generous
gift from some parents. Unfortunately, the money ran out before the
computers could be bought.

It's a perfect environment for thin clients, except that one of the big
things that the teacher needs is the ability to interface with various
kinds of probes and such. He tells me most of them use USB, but that
leaves open the question of drivers and whether you can get them working
on a thin client.

Does anybody use thin clients in science labs with probes and other
"science-y" equipment? Any success stories I could share?

I was waiting to see if some positive response could be forthcoming.
However silence confirm what I suspect that it would be difficult to
set up thin clients to take up probe connections. Not impossible but
difficult.
That said you should be able to run probes from fat desktops and even
building a lab full of fat desktops running open source would still
mean quite a cost saving.
Hoping some one else has a solution for you.
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar