Re: [K12OSN] OT: just reduced spam by 95% with Free Software

Here you go.  Hope it helps someone.  It's been two and a half months now, and it sure helped me.

PART I:
http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/28/1522252&tid=115

PART II:

--TP

_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
I will write up a document on this and email it to the list, then.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Huck wrote:
Terrell...more info please? ;)

--Huck

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
Folks,

I will first admit that this is somewhat off-topic from K12LTSP.  That said, schools could benefit from this.  This is definitely applicable for those of you who asked about using K12LTSP as an email server for your students.

We all know about the spam problem.  Well, over this last week, I have been playing with OpenBSD's spamd as a possible solution.  Basically, I put the spamd box in front of my (yes, GNU/Linux) email server.  I have now reduced the spam count in my inbox from close to 200 a day down to...five.  FIVE.  This is without false positives.  I have verified that by studying my spamd logs all week and comparing them to my real email server's logs.

For those of you with small pipes to the Internet, this is *definitely* something you might want to consider.  It saves you some bandwidth.

If anyone's interested, let me know.

--TP