[K12OSN] RE: Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

rowens at ptd.net rowens at ptd.net
Thu Apr 19 11:17:27 UTC 2007

There was a discussion a few weeks back regarding what Robert Arkiletian saw
at Kamloops school in Canada.  Link for reference:
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2007-March/msg00698.html

I was trying to remember the name of a certain project I had read about, and I
just stumbled across it today:  DRBL http://drbl.sourceforge.net/  It stands
for Diskless Remote Boot in Linux.  Basically, a server is set up which has
the operating system, and it PXE boots clients.  The clients then run *all* of
their applications locally, but with no hard drive (all filesystems are
mounted from the server).

I thought some of you guys might find it interesting.  It requires high
performance clients since everything is run locally, but it requires only one
installation of the operating system.

-Rob