Re: [K12OSN] RE: Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

we're using it (booting from USB keys). we gave it to students.
here is a SIMPLE install : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

students have their ENTIRE desktop, favorite apps and document with them all the time!
we consider high end hardware with no hard disks as stations we students can plug their OS into.
(it's just an experiment with technology and it's not a cheap solution!)

On 4/19/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 4/19/07, rowens ptd net <rowens ptd net> wrote:

> There was a discussion a few weeks back regarding what Robert Arkiletian saw
> at Kamloops school in Canada.  Link for reference:
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2007-March/msg00698.html
>
> I was trying to remember the name of a certain project I had read about, and I
> just stumbled across it today:  DRBL http://drbl.sourceforge.net/  It stands
> for Diskless Remote Boot in Linux.  Basically, a server is set up which has
> the operating system, and it PXE boots clients.  The clients then run *all* of
> their applications locally, but with no hard drive (all filesystems are
> mounted from the server).

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I will pass it on.

--
Robert Arkiletian