[K12OSN] Windows Clients Behind an LTSP Server

Gustav Kramer gjk_lists at rogers.com
Fri Apr 20 10:58:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 21:21 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > >When a client PC is booted up as Windows,
> > >
> > >a) can it ping a server on the Internet by IP address (e.g. 172.x.y.z)
> > >as opposed to server name (e.g. www.google.com)?
> >
> > No, it ping by IP.
> >
> > >b) is Windows also getting a valid name server address from the DHCP
> > >server?
> >
> > Windows is getting 10.0.0.1 (eth0) for gateway and dns, and ltsp as dns
> > suffix.
> >
> > This information is the same both for Windows and for the LTSP clients.
>
> You should check for the following lines in your dhcpd.conf file:
>
> option domain-name-servers    x.x.x.x;
> option domain-name            "ltsp";
>
> Make sure that the domain-name-servers line points to a valid DNS server
> on your network.
>
> -Rob

Late last year I had a similar problem and found an answer in the
archives suggesting checking the firewall settings.  Here's and excerpt:

"I found while looking at the Linux Firewall module in Webmin that only
lo was set to accept any traffic but that eth0 was not. I added a rule
to accept any traffic on eth0 and now my internal workstations get
through the firewall just fine."

Here's the link if you want to follow the whole thread:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2006-December/msg00062.html

It worked for me, YMMV.

- gustav