Re: [K12OSN] Windows Clients Behind an LTSP Server

On 4/20/07, Gustav Kramer <gjk_lists rogers com> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 21:21 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > >When a client PC is booted up as Windows,
> > >
> > >a) can it ping a server on the Internet by IP address (e.g. 172.x.y.z)
> > >as opposed to server name (e.g. www.google.com)?
> >
> > No, it ping by IP.

This was meant to say "Yes, it can ping by IP."  I have no idea what
made me type this.

Late last year I had a similar problem and found an answer in the
archives suggesting checking the firewall settings.  Here's and excerpt:

"I found while looking at the Linux Firewall module in Webmin that only
lo was set to accept any traffic but that eth0 was not. I added a rule
to accept any traffic on eth0 and now my internal workstations get
through the firewall just fine."

Here's the link if you want to follow the whole thread:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2006-December/msg00062.html

It worked for me, YMMV.

My mileage did not, in fact, vary.  Thanks for the tip.  I installed
webmin, added a rule to accept all traffic on eth0, and presto-chango
it works.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

-dhbarr.