[K12OSN] RE: Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Apr 23 15:17:21 UTC 2007

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> The direction that RedHat/Fedora is gearing up for is "Stateless Linux".
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StatelessLinuxHOWTO

> I _don't_ see most
> schools going "COOL! Now we can roll our own custom environment!"
> anytime soon. It's a beast of a process.

I've always thought the right way to handle this would be a slight
variation of openmosix where you could designate one or more dedicated
servers that could run applications for anyone but in addition, your own
applications would have the option of running on your local machine
(only - not other clients)if it offers a reasonable amount of CPU and
RAM capacity.   However I don't know enough about openmosix to know if
it actually has any concepts to associate users and their local
machines. You probably don't want your jobs running on some other client
that might be rebooted or unplugged at any time.  Something like this
could automatically balance out the differences between thin and fat
clients without much custom tweaking.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com