Re: [K12OSN] RE: Future LTSP direction: Local Apps

James P. Kinney III wrote:
The direction that RedHat/Fedora is gearing up for is "Stateless Linux".
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StatelessLinuxHOWTO

I _don't_ see most
schools going "COOL! Now we can roll our own custom environment!"
anytime soon. It's a beast of a process.

I've always thought the right way to handle this would be a slight variation of openmosix where you could designate one or more dedicated servers that could run applications for anyone but in addition, your own applications would have the option of running on your local machine (only - not other clients)if it offers a reasonable amount of CPU and RAM capacity. However I don't know enough about openmosix to know if it actually has any concepts to associate users and their local machines. You probably don't want your jobs running on some other client that might be rebooted or unplugged at any time. Something like this could automatically balance out the differences between thin and fat clients without much custom tweaking.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com