[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 38, Issue 29

xmechanic xmechanic at gilanet.com
Tue Apr 24 18:30:26 UTC 2007

Greetings Levi,

I wish I had seen this earlier before you went through all the headaches
on that Proliant boat-anchor. We have a similar Proliant 3000 at our
school that was 'donated' by some well-meaning service facility to
replace our aging Gateway server. After 2 weeks of config issues, we
finally managed to get MS Server 2003 to run on it (only in 256 colors
though). It still won't recognize a simple CD-burner, and IDE 'extra
storage' drives are out of the question. Definitely not a user-friendly
machine, especially when it comes to changing out drives in their
infamous integrated drive cage. Oh well, maybe in the near future it
will suffice as good support for a welding job for the kids in metal
shop, LOL! Glad you ended up with some equipment you can actually use. :-)

Dave Land
Land Computer Service

> Re: [K12OSN] New installation on an old Server
> From:
> EJBoshinski <mistrz.linux at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
> To:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> To:
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>

> Congrats Levi !!!
>
> Happy to hear that all your efforts panned out and in the end your
> going to be moving to NEW equipment :-)
>
> I haven't worked on Compaq servers for quite awhile, but I do remember
> that they were very quirky about how they had to configured... not to
> mention old Compaq DOS...   {8-P
>
> Again, congratulations on your new toys !!!
>
> -ejb

<snipped to save space>