[K12OSN] Help with Fl_TeacherTool

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 27 00:51:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 16:20 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> I want to make fl-tt better. Is there any way to get a clients
> DISPLAY
> and
> XAUTHORITY
> environment variables if you are root?
>
> Is XAUTHORITY always =/home/username/.Xauthority  ?

I think this is correct. I have never seen any other location
for .Xauthority
> Is DISPLAY always =wsXXX.ltsp:0.0  where XXX is the last part of the ip?

That is K12LTSP/LTSP specific. If another naming scheme is in use, this
will not be the case. In the Atlanta Public Schools pilot roll-out, the
thin clients are named rmXXXscYY  where XXX is the room number and YY is
a sequential counter within each room. This scheme is used so lpoptions
can be run on login to set the default printer (which uses a similar
naming scheme: rmXXXprYY).

Also the 0.0 may change is more than one X screen is running. Odds of
that are slim, but real. If the standard X session in on screen "F2" and
a rdesktop session on "F1", the screen number may be 1.0  (I'm rusty on
the counting so don't take my word on this - I _think_ rdesktop uses an
X screen.)

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering