[K12OSN] Help with Fl_TeacherTool

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Apr 27 20:09:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:38:35 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote
> On 4/27/07, Peter Scheie <peter at scheie.homedns.org> wrote:
> > So, what sort of improvement(s) do you have in mind? ;-)
> >

> The major new feature is going to be the thumbnail snapshot window of
> each client. But I am also trying to clean up my code to make it
> simpler/efficient more modular and easier to understand and modify.

Is there a way we can have the list of users refresh automatically every 5 or 10
seconds?  I'll be working with users and notice that users still in the list are showing
even after they logged off, so I have to manually refresh the list every so often.

Is this something hard to do, or does it already do so but not as often as I would like?
 If it already does it can I change the refresh interval manually?

Any help would be great.  Thanks for your work on this.

Funny side note here.  I have used FL_TeacherTool in the past and thought the speed was
fairly good, but my last server it was sssssllllooooowwwww!  I wondered what had changed
and was about to send an email.  Turns out my IP is a 10.X.X.X range so when the server
installed it created 65536 hosts in the hosts file.  So whenever I would perform an
operation (open the program or refresh the user list) it would sit forever.  I finally
figured that out and narrowed my hosts file to the range 500 IP's give out by the dhcp
server and viola, it is much faster now.  Let that be a lesson to anyone else out there
doing something stupid like I was :-)

Jim