Re: [K12OSN] OT - Web based appliance

rmcdaniel indata us wrote:
This actually presents all of the applications running on any server, as
a web based application.  I would like to put a thin client on my
teacher's desk but I have been unable to do that due to our Student
Management System, STI.  With something like this I can serve it up as
a web based application and access it with just a web browser.

If you are on the LAN or performance isn't a big issue you should be able to do this with the applet version of vnc. First you would set up a login on the server to act the way you want (probably one of the lightweight window mangers and a kiosk-like menu). Then you set up a web page that downloads the applet and connects back. I think the standalone version of vncserver will do this - and you could use it for testing. For actual use you'd probably want the xinetd-started vnc sessions so you'd need a separate web page to download the applet.

To test the concept, use something like:
vncserver :16
from a test account, give it a password, then connect from a browser using http://server_name:5816 I think the default window manager will be twm, so don't expect much at this point - just type the name of some application you want to try to see if the performance is reasonable. If you think it could work, then we can figure out a way to get the applet downloaded from a web page without needing vncserver. Then it is a just a matter of setting up a login to work the way you want - or perhaps giving them the default login that you would get with a standalone vnc connection.

Don't forget to run
vncserver -kill :16
from the same account after you are done testing. Vncserver has an assortment of options you might want to test that will affect the screen size and depth, but for real use you'll want to convert them over to the vnc invocations from xinetd so you get fresh logins for each connection. The reason for testing with vncserver is that it has the embedded applet downloader listening on port 5800 + display number so you can use it without a vnc viewer on the client. If it works, there are other ways you can download that applet.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com