[K12OSN] Slow terminals

rmiller at seminole.k12.ga.us rmiller at seminole.k12.ga.us
Mon Aug 6 15:44:05 UTC 2007

I've got two 5.0EL labs set up that we're using to test out the viability of using LTSP in our Elementary School and possibly in our Middle/High School as well. So far, the feedback has been mostly positive.

I've got 2 issues that are causing some reservations by the teachers. One is that the terminals are a little slow, especially whenever a student exits a program and tries to go back into it. The servers are struggling to keep up. Eventually, they will get back into their desired program, but not before they've clicked it several (dozen) times.

I'm thinking that my servers may not have enough ram, but I need more feedback from you, the more experienced. Both labs are running an HP xw6000 server with a 3.2 Ghz Xeon processor, 4 GB of ram, dual 30 GB SCSI hard drives. There are 28 terminals in lab and 26 in the other. I have gigabit nics in the servers going to an HP 2650 switch (GB uplink port, 48 100MB ports). I would think a 3.2 Ghz Xeon would have the capacity, but what about doubling the ram to 8GB? Any suggestions would most definitely be appreciated.

The other issue relates to one of the 2 labs. In it, I have 26 Acer 220 laptops. I boot them off a boot floppy as PXE doesn't seem to work on them, but that's another issue. The biggest problem I'm having with them is at that I running them at 800x600 (most I can get), and some of the games, i.e. ChildsPlay, is shifted to the right so that about 1/3 of the screen is not visible. If they were standard desktop pc's and monitors, I could adjust the monitor's settings to move the screen to the left. Can't do it on the laptops. If you have any suggestions on this matter, I'd also appreaciate any help.

Thanks guys for all the help you given in the past!

Ronnie