[K12OSN] Beta 6?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Aug 10 19:46:44 UTC 2007

Are your Edubuntu servers going to be the DHCP servers for the network?
For this they'll need to be....if so....then I can send you my dhcp config
to show you how to do it.  Basically how it works....

2 Edubuntu servers (both with one NIC) connected to the LAN
One is the primary and the other the secondard
Both server the exact same range, but an algorithm sets it up so first one
answers and then the other
In a perfect world...if you have a lab of 20 machines....10 will get their
address from server A and 10 from server B   (I've tested this and it is
the case, but then the users show up and there are more machines)

If Server A goes down....Server B hands out ALL the IP addresses until
Server A comes back online.  From an Edubuntu or LTSP standpoint....since
the TC's get their "image" from the server they get their DHCP from in
this case....the load gets split in half as TC#1 boots from Server
A...TC#2 boots from Server B...and so on.  Works slick!

dtrask at vcsvikings.org
(207)923-3100