[K12OSN] noatime mount option for better performance

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Tue Aug 14 15:16:33 UTC 2007

Forgive the lateness; I've been on vacation.

I've used 'defaults,noatime' for my /boot /var and /usr/local/
partitions since I built the server last year. It works well, and from
my tests cuts the load significantly.

I started with /var/ because I do a lot of DB stuff, and that's where
MySQL keeps its things by default, as well as log files
/usr/local/ is where my custom anti-spam and imap servers are
/boot/ I just threw in there as an afterthought. I'll try /tmp/ next. I
definitely can't use /home/ because I have backup scripts that compare
file modification timestamps, though I imagine there are a host of other
reasons not to.

I do imagine I'll eventually run into some weird error that is caused by
a program looking for a timestamp change, I just haven't found it yet.

-Michael

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
>>
>>> From a performance aspect, the potential in LTSP is huge. Everytime a
>>> client reads a file that runs the user interface, a disk write must also
>>> happen if atime is on. From a standpoint of system control, do you
>>> _really_ need to know when someone read a file? Maybe in a high-security
>>> environment but in a school?
>>>
>> Exactly.
>>

>>> Currently most system use mount options as defaults which are
>>> default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async
>>>
>>> so change an fstab line from
>>> LABEL=/home  /home ext3 defaults 1 2
>>> to:

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message, and any attachments that may accompany it, contain information that is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or other use of this communication or any of the information, which it contains is unauthorized and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the original sender by return mail and delete this message, along with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.