[K12OSN] samba drives/home folder and MS Vista probs

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Aug 17 19:52:23 UTC 2007

Hello List,

I thought Id throw this out, in regards to my continuing saga of Samba
shares & Windows Vista. I took one of our new Vista laptops home with me,
as I have FC5 / Samba 3.0.23 and Samba configured as a Windows PDC on my
home k12ltsp v5.0. The Vista( Business edition) laptop joined easily to my
domain and also shows the H: \ home folder fine at login the same as it
does for XP machines. Didn't have to do any hocus pocus or anything to get
it to work:)
So I m not sure if the problem I m having at school is too old version of
Samba, & or it is that Windows 2003 server AD  DC is messing with Smaba
and Vista all throw into the mix.We are using an old version FC3 /Samba
3.0.1 at the school as our file server /home folders server. AS I said
this works fine for XP box domain logins. So I didn't want to break
something that is working flawlessly.
I m going to try and do an upgrade of Samba onto the FC3 fileserver at
school and see if this does the trick. If it does not I'll be reformatting
and installing a fresh install of FC5/ K12LTSP v5.0 , same as what I have
at home to resolve the Vista prob( Hopefully!)..
Hope this helps someone that may be contemplating having to throw some
Vista boxes onto their school domain:)

Thanks,

Barry Cisna