[K12OSN] HELP!! creating bulk users

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Aug 24 01:08:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:25:06 -0400, Randall Swift wrote
> I already have the users created the script said it created the home
> directory but it is not there. I need a way to create home directories for
> existing users (about 800 of them).

Add this line to /etc/pam.d/common-session:

session required        pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/

If a user ever logs in and there is no home directory, this pam module will create the
home directory automatically.  This is explained in more depth of my howto on Ubuntu
LDAP found here http://www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt in step 13.

Any other scripts you might do will only help you now, adding this to pam will make
sure this never happens again.

HTH
Jim