[K12OSN] Samba home folders created through MS AD

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Aug 24 02:18:19 UTC 2007

Hello List,

I'm sure this has been hashed a million times, but I have not found a 1.
2. 3. of how to do it, IF ,it is at all possible. We are using MS AD as
our PDC. I know, one strike against us already:)This is not my choice but
as many others are in the same boat, I'm sure,the school has spent plenty
of $$ on licenses,,,blah,,blah.
 After adding new students in MS AD we set there home folder path to ' H:
\\k12ltspserver\homes\home\user '. Of course as soon as this is done,
Apply> OK, You get the " The home folder could not be created. You will
have to manually add the users home folder" message. So therefore I have
to add the user on the K12ltsp/Samba/fileserver to generate each users
home folder.Is there some sort of script I can add to the samba server to
" see" the MS AD settings? This is " Just the way we have always done
it", but it would simplify things a little if we could do this.
I know we should be using smbldap, & I m going to try this for next school
year. Or I'd like to go one better and just use Samba as our PDC and
really simplfy things ,and ditch MS AD altogether:-)
Thanks for any input.

Barry Cisna