[K12OSN] Network Drives

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Aug 27 18:05:16 UTC 2007

On 8/27/07, Kemp, Levi <lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us> wrote:
> Well I'll just be honest here, you went right over my head. I'm sure I could research it and eventually find what you mean, but I'm kinda in mid-use right now so if you could elablorate I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Sorry, didn't mean to gloss over the details.

/etc/login.defs defines some parameters for users, including the
default permissions of files they create. You probably need a umask of
007 to have newly created files be group read/writable and directories
be group read/write/executable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umask
http://www.tech-faq.com/umask.shtml

An "ls -ld /path/to/shared/dir" should show the permissions for the
shared directory. I think you'll want something like:

drwxrws---

Doing a g+s on a directory will cause files created in that directory
to inherit the group ownership of the directory, which is generally
desired in a "group share" scenario.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services