[K12OSN] find command

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Tue Aug 28 22:56:56 UTC 2007

Roger wrote:

> On 8/28/07, Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org> wrote: 'find' is likely much
> more powerful..
>
> but I use 'updatedb'...and then 'locate <filename or partial with
> wildcard>'...
> Yeah, I use locate often too.
> find is for when I want to do something with the files after
> they're found.

Why wouldn't you be able to do something with the files that locate
eh... locates for you? Piping the result into xargs is pretty powerful.

find is more flexible than locate though, you can for instance tell
it to only look in a particular part of your filesystem, check for
certain permissions, times, etc. and it is always returning actually
existing files. locate searches a database (which is updated by
running updatedb), while find searches the live filesystem.

Nils Breunese.