[K12OSN]K12LTSP v. 6 DHCP works for clients only?

Gustav Kramer gjk_lists at rogers.com
Wed Aug 1 21:17:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 15:50 -0500, ssh at tranquility.net wrote:
> I've been using 4.4.x so troublefree for so long, I am rusty on
> troubleshooting. I am installing V6 on a test server. The base install
> works fine on clients so far. I am in the habit of plugging a couple of
> laptops into the client side of K12LTSP and getting dhcp info for their
> OS. This doesn't seem to work for me with V6.
>
> DHCP is giving the non-client machines an IP and a lease, but they cannot
> seem to reach anything than the server or each other.
>
> route shows k12ltsp on the inside interface as the default GW
> ifconfig shows the interface as up, and has an IP
> cat /etc/resolv.conf shows the server correctly
>
> I can also manually configure the non-clients with the same results. I can
> ping, ssh, etc to anything on the client network, but no lookup or
> anything to the outside.
> TIA

A while back I had a similar problem and found an answer in the
archives suggesting checking the firewall settings.  Here's an excerpt:

"I found while looking at the Linux Firewall module in Webmin that only
lo was set to accept any traffic but that eth0 was not. I added a rule
to accept any traffic on eth0 and now my internal workstations get
through the firewall just fine."

Here's the link if you want to follow the whole thread:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2006-December/msg00062.html

It worked for me, YMMV.

- gustav