Re: [K12OSN] Quick Question about Swap partitions

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
How big should they be?  I have read places that too large of a Swap partition is bad, I
have also read that a good rule of thumb is to make your swap partition twice the size
of your RAM.  In my case I have 16GB of RAM.  Does that mean I should have 32GB swap
partitions?  Also most recommendations for swap partition sizes are for single user
machines (Desktops).  In the case of LTSP we have many users on one machine (108 in my
current case).  So is the swap size dependent also on how many concurrent users are
accessing files?
If anyone could point out a good way of determining swap size for LTSP servers I would
appreciate it.

It depends on the use pattern, but on machines I've seen as you get close to 2 gigs into swap the machine will be so slow and unresponsive that you'll probably reboot it before it would recover - if it ever does. The main point is that you need enough RAM. Swap will keep the machine from crashing if you run short momentarily but its not a real substitute.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com