Re: [K12OSN] Slow terminals

James P. Kinney III wrote:

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:38 -0400, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
James P. Kinney III wrote:
Theoretically, a 1Gbit Nic _should_ handle about 700Mb/s using standard ethernet (can't do jumbo frames in 100Mb). You are at the upper edge of that limit with 54 clients running. Figure in at least 7Mb/s per client just for resting state screen draws. If there is activity (all of the games - childsplay, gcompris, tuxmath, tuxtype - are real bandwidth hogs
and can eat 20Mb/s for each instance).

In support of James's point here, TuxType will actually eat even
more--as high as 73Mb/sec per instance.

OUCH!! I have only clocked an aggregate and average. Since tuxtype and
tuxmath use the same engine I suspect they will be equivalent bandwidth
hogs.

The bandwidth needed doesn't really depend on the things like processing power and calculations. It's just the amount of on-screen activity. Video and fast graphics take up a lot of bandwidth.

Nils Breunese.