Re: [K12OSN] noatime mount option for better performance

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 12:38 +0300, Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
> very interesting :-)
>
> i know this issue for some time but i was not brave enough to
> try it. because i'm not sure what service or application it will break
> on the system. and how much benefit it really has on the performance ?

From a performance aspect, the potential in LTSP is huge. Everytime a
client reads a file that runs the user interface, a disk write must also
happen if atime is on. From a standpoint of system control, do you
_really_ need to know when someone read a file? Maybe in a high-security
environment but in a school?

> how would you suggest we try it ?

Currently most system use mount options as defaults which are
default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async

so change an fstab line from
LABEL=/home  /home ext3 defaults 1 2
to:
LABEL=/home /home ext3  rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime  1 2

It is highly recommended that flash drives always be mounted with
noatime as their write count is limited.