[K12OSN] Beta 6?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 9 21:13:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:22:08 -0700, monteslu wrote
> I have k12ltsp5EL & edubuntu discs sitting in front of me, and school starts
> on Monday.
>
> As much as I love fedora, redhat hasn't done much to help integrate Muekow.
> I'm gonna give edubuntu a shot.
>
> 1 smbldap server
> 2 edubuntu servers
> 70 thin clients.
>
> I'll report on my success or failure.

You'll really like Edubuntu.  Download the modified LDM and enable LDM_DIRECTX=true in
lts.conf for faster screen speeds.  FYI the Thin Client Manager (Edubuntu's TeacherTool)
has some major issues at the moment, any VNC related features do not work.  Other than
that Edubuntu is great.

If it helps you can steal the needed pieces from this tutorial for setting up LDAP
authentication for your Edubuntu servers:

http://www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt

Good luck.