Re: [K12OSN] Beta 6?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Only thing I need now is the load balancing part to get back to where I was with k12ltsp. Any tips or pointers to documentation of how you did it? In k12ltsp, I just load balanced by poining half the workstations at a different server using lts.conf, but that doesn't cover failover.

I'm not really so much set on edubuntu as I am getting a working Muekow install before school starts up next week.

Luis

David Trask wrote:
Sound works fine in flash....go here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ

near the bottom for the fix...piece of cake. I have it working well. also on the Edubuntu site either in the docs or the wiki you'll find the
lts.conf variables.  I recently (last week) got two servers (Edubuntu)
with dhcp/load balance and failover along with a Samba/LDAP server using
smbldap-installer....up and running.  It was so easy it was
anti-climactic.  I'm still a K12LTSP fan and have been since the beginning
(I've used it at our school since September 2001...in earnest)...however,
I really like where Ubuntu and Edubuntu are headed.  The MueKow way of
doing things is the way of the future....there are still some bugs, but
each new release just gets SO MUCH better.  I would love to see the
Redhat/Fedora folks really get their act together and go nuts with
K12LTSP, but it ain't happening yet...at least publicly.  There will be
MAJOR new advances in Gutsy (the next release) that should speed things up
tremendously.  Once booted the terminals are fine....no diffs between
K12LTSP and Edubuntu.....it's the booting that takes a bit.  Be sure to
use Gideon Romms patched LDM for your current Edubuntu installation.

I think it's here

http://codebrowse.launchpad.net/~gideon/ltsp/gadi-ldm-mods-ltsp/download/gadi%40ltsp.org-20070521205254-ek710bofdpdtlwlz/x_Matt_Zimmerman_%3Cmatt.zimmerman%40canonical.com%3E_Tue_Jun__7_19%3A59%3A49_2005_32192.0/ldm

and do this:

Replace your current "/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ldm" with the new file
(you may want to
backup your current ldm just to be safe).  The in
"/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf" add the
following line:

LDM_DIRECTX=True

Hope this all helps!  :-)

"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
writes:
One day in and I've had some success and some extreme frustration.

First the good stuff:

Install went fine.
Thin clients immediately booted up.
The latest smbldap client script connected me right up.

Now the problems:

sudo... I guess it's better than switching to root like I've always done
with redhat, but why does it only work on the server for GUI apps?
The lts.conf is not nearly as nice as the one on k12ltsp. In fact, it's
almost empty. I have no idea what the new variables are. The top of the
file says I can read a gzipped example conf, but it doesn't exist on the
server or in any repo that I can tell.
Sound still doesn't work for me in flash on  a client and the only adobe
flash thing i can see in the repo is the plugin itself.

Luis

---- Jim Kronebusch <jim winonacotter org> wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:22:08 -0700, monteslu wrote
I have k12ltsp5EL & edubuntu discs sitting in front of me, and school
starts
on Monday.

As much as I love fedora, redhat hasn't done much to help integrate
Muekow.
I'm gonna give edubuntu a shot.

1 smbldap server
2 edubuntu servers
70 thin clients.

I'll report on my success or failure.
You'll really like Edubuntu.  Download the modified LDM and enable
LDM_DIRECTX=true in
lts.conf for faster screen speeds.  FYI the Thin Client Manager
(Edubuntu's TeacherTool)
has some major issues at the moment, any VNC related features do not
work.  Other than
that Edubuntu is great.
If it helps you can steal the needed pieces from this tutorial for
setting up LDAP
authentication for your Edubuntu servers:

http://www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt

Good luck.

dangerous content by the Cotter Technology Department, and is believed to be clean.