Re: [K12OSN] VNC stopped working

Mark Cockrell wrote:

An update to this...
When I try "service vncserver start" from the command line I get
"Starting VNC server: no displays configured".  It seems that a
configuration file has been messed up somewhere along the lines.  I
don't know what the magic is that connect VNC to the login manager in
K12LTSP, so I'm at a loss.  Any pointers?

Make sure you have the package "vnc-ltsp-config" installed. This invokes Xvnc from xinetd rather than from the vncserver "service". BTW this means that you also have to have xinetd running and the /etc/xinetd.d/vncts service enabled.

Thanks for your reply John, but as far as I can tell that package is installed. I did a "yum remove vnc-ltsp-config" followed but a "yum install vnc-ltsp-config" hoping that might change something, but it didn't seem to. This is a remote server and I use VNC a lot on it, so I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks.

vncserver is a different thing, so it's not going to start anything unless you configure some screens to start and always remain running. Is xinetd running and is the vncts service enabled in its file under /etc/xinetd.d/vncts?

If you are using this yourself for administration instead of using it for a lot of user sessions, you might like freenx and the NX client better.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com