[K12OSN] samba drives/home folder and MS Vista probs

Sergio Chaves sergio at turbocorp.com
Tue Aug 14 23:23:33 UTC 2007

>From
http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/75/Microsoft_Vista_With_Linux_Interoperability.pdf

<quote>
The Samba 3.0.23c client code can’t connect
to Windows Vista RC1 (Build 5600). In other words, many client applications
based on libsmbclient, including the Konqueror K10 slave (smb://), will not
be able to open Vista shares. But why?
Establishing a connection to a CIFs server is a process with a number of
steps. After establishing a TCP connection
via port 139 or 445, the client issues the Negotiate
Protocol, Session Setup, and Tree Connect requests in succession. The
Negotiate Protocol request negotiates the connection parameters, Session
Setup logs the user on and passes in a password, and Tree Connect tells the
server which share the client wants to connect to.
This basic approach has remained unchanged since the earliest versions of the
protocol that date back to the 80s. However, security
requirements directed at the protocol have grown drastically since then.
Different versions of Windows have responded to demands for more security in
various ways. Besides authenticating with cleartext passwords, an approach
that is theoretically still viable, a number of new approaches have been
added, including LanManager authentication, NTLM v1, and NTLM v2.
With the introduction of Windows 2000 and Active Directory, Microsoft added
another authentication mechanism that is completely different from all
previous ones: Kerberos 5. In the process of extending
Kerberos, Microsoft entered into new territory; some of the Internet
RFCs concerning encapsulating Kerberos in other protocols, such as CIFS and
LDAP, have seen major development since the introduction of Windows
2000.
Samba 3 has always been based on what Windows really does, as Microsoft rarely
keeps to standards. One of the consequences is that changes to Windows
have often surprised us in the past. In this special case, Microsoft has
applied the underlying RFCs more strictly than previously with respect to
Vista compatibility. We need to modify the code to reflect the new
requirements before Samba-based clients can access Vista shares.

Volker Lendecke - Samba Developer

</end quote>

--
"The art of leadership is saying no, not yes. It is very easy to say yes."
    Tony Blair

 This transmission (including attachments) may be: (1) subject to the
 Attorney-Client Privilege, (2) an attorney work product, or (3) strictly
 confidential to Sergio Chaves, LLC.  If you are not the intended
 recipient of this message (or authorized to receive for the intended
 recipient), you may not read, retain, disclose, print, copy or disseminate
 to anyone this information. If you have received this in error, please
 reply and notify the sender (only) by reply email, and destroy all copies
 of the message (including any attachments). Unauthorized interception of
 this e-mail is a violation of federal criminal law.