Re: [K12OSN] OT - disk clone over network

Les Mikesell wrote:

rmcdaniel indata us wrote:
Can anyone recommend an application that I can use to take a good image of a laptop and clone other laptops across the network? I have been trying to use DRBL with no luck. I can't get the clients that boot from the network using PXE to see the server and boot.

If you don't mind it taking a long time and the disks are all identical, boot your master with a knoppix CD or the install CD in rescue mode and:
dd if=/dev/hda | ssh server 'cat >/path/to/image_name'
the on the clones:
ssh server 'cat < /path/to/image_name' |dd of=hda
(note that this will destroy anything currently on the disk).

If you don't really need ssh's encryption on the network you might want to use dd with netcat (nc) instead of ssh. Much faster! See <http://digiassn.blogspot.com/2006/01/dd-over-netcat-for-cheap- ghost.html> for instance for some examples.

Nils Breunese.