[K12OSN] OT - disk clone over network

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 16 13:10:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:14:12 -0400, David Trask wrote
> Clonezilla!  You can use Clonezilla Live CD and do just about
> anything....one thing is to upload the master image to a server via ssh
> (using Clonezilla) and then use Clonezilla on the rest to pull the image
> down.  However....I have DRBL working quite well....here are the
> beginnings of my how-to
>
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfvj9xq4_25q2xn7j
>
> What I do....is turn off my regular DHCP while imaging on my LAN (for
> laptops you could set up a seperate little subnet or LAN) and let the DRBL
> server do the DHCP while imaging.  Clonezilla multicast is VERY fast!
>
> http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/
>
> I cross-posted this reply as I thought Edubuntu folks might also be
> interested....I used this to image MANY Edubuntu desktops.

I was looking at DRBL to boot teacher machines from, so thanks for the link to the
tutorial.  However I would need like this to boot in conjunction with the LTSP server.
I also ran into problems in the past where I could not boot from a Netboot server while
the LTSP server was running.  So I am now working on butchering up a dhcpd.conf file
that has a few different subnets.  I am hoping when finished all machines for which I do
not know the mac address will get subnet A.  Then all ltsp machines will get a
"fixed-address" from subnet B where there will be information to boot the LTSP server
and what root path.  I may put another subnet where I can boot kiosks from a different
tree as well.  Then I plan on having subnet C loaded with the mac addresses of the new
teacher machines that need to boot DRBL and place the pertinent information under there.
 Then I would like to add a subnet D where all Macintosh machines would be assigned and
the next-server info to boot from the NetBoot server.

If this all goes well I will post my results back to the list.  I am sure there will be
some major hair pulling in the meantime, but I am sure others could take advantage of
such a setup.

Here is the start of what I have if anyone is interested:

authoritative;

shared-network CotterLAN {

# Unknown Clients assigned addresses here

subnet 10.6.253.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 10.6.253.1 10.6.254.253;
  option domain-name "winonacotter.org";
  option domain-name-server 10.6.1.50;
  option routers 10.6.0.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.0.0;

  pool {
        range 10.6.253.1 10.6.254.253;
        deny known clients;
        }
}

# Thin Clients assigned specific IP addresses here

subnet 10.6.252.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  option domain-name "winonacotter.org";
  option domain-name-servers 10.6.1.50;
  option broadcast-address 10.6.255.255;
  option routers 10.6.0.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.0.0;
  if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
    filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
  }
  else{
    filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";